There is quite a bit of work to proper management of community associations, including depositing maintenance fees, paying vendors, staying on top of routine maintenance, and handling emergencies.  Board members are volunteers who typically have other life commitments whereas a management company’s only job is to handle these takes.

No, Blue Arrow considers multiple factors of an association, such as amenities, number of units, maintenance needs, etc., when setting a monthly management fee.  We want to make sure that our fee reflects the work involved and you can feel comfortable knowing that our prices are relatively all inclusive without lots of extra fees to do the job.

We manage all different types and sizes of communities.  We range from a 3-unit townhome community to a 240-home neighborhood.  No matter the size, each community gets the same quality service.